Saturday, September 26, 2009

There's Some Kind of Magic in that Greensborough Coffee!


I don't know what they put in the coffee at Greensborough Coffee on State Street (formerly Carolina Coffee and Tea) but I can hardly go a single weekday without visiting this magical corner coffeehouse!


I've been a patron of this shop for four or five years now and I make it a habit to visit there almost every morning for a cup of whatever's brewing. When I can't get there in the AM, I stop by on my way home from work for an iced coffee and to check out what's going on in the neighborhood.

And I don't even live in the neighborhood!

There is a wonderful cast of characters who frequent this place and I've made some dear friends and acquaintances in the process. And if you need a roofer, a jeweler, a therapist, an insurance agent, a masseuse, an organic gardener (the list could go on and on), you've come to the right place!

Because these are the kinds of folks you will meet at Greensborough Coffee, while enjoying all sorts of hot and cold coffee beverages. They also serve an assortment of baked goods from area bakers. I love the coffee cake, in particular, as it is moist and very yummy.

Luke Whitten (who formerly managed Carolina Coffee and Tea) has taken the location over and created his own vision of a coffeehouse with a little help from his friends. The inside has been freshly painted giving the shop a lighter and brighter look. The hodge podge of commercially-produced merchandise has been cleared away. He has created two conversation areas filled with gorgeous upscale furniture that makes for a clean more modern feeling. But thankfully he has kept the bones and charm of the place intact by retaining the original floor, ceiling, counter, and some of the built-ins.

Apparently, Greensboro and anything that is local is what he wants to support and showcase in the shop along with the coffee. You wonder why someone hasn't thought of this already! There's now a beautifully framed Mangum print of Greensboro that comes into view as soon as you walk in the front door. There are some wonderful black and white photos of Greensboro behind the counter.

Yes, there's some kind of magic in this coffeehouse. Most of that magic comes from Luke who takes the time to serve and personally engage every person who walks through the door. I like to think I'm special when he takes the time to chat with me, but I know that he is just as kind and outgoing to every patron who comes in. That is simply his way.

I'd be neglect not to mention Luke's girlfriend Tobi who is a barista at the shop on several mornings during the week. She's one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet and another one of the reasons that I keep returning there. She's very knowledgeable about the coffee and she too has alot of patience.

Linden is a new barista at Greensborough Coffee and is Luke's right-hand man. He is a great addition to the shop and you will enjoy his service and company as well. He already knows my afternoon drink and always asks me how my guitar playing is going.

I've been told that the official grand opening for the shop is Saturday, October 17th. I know that there is much more to come as Luke has talked about bringing in music and more local artwork and merchandise.

So come by and experience the magic for yourself!

Oh, yeah the coffee (both caffeinated and decaf and roasted by Carolina Coffee and Roasting Co.) is delicious and they sell it by the pound. I like the Guatamalan and when I have to resort to no caffeine every once in a while, I can hardly tell the difference with the Mexican Decaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment