Friday, September 18, 2009

Say Goodbye to Summer with Picnic at Triad Stage

Hooray! Summer's finally over with a glorious autumn in North Carolina almost upon us! And Triad Stage started their new season. They've staged Picnic, the classic Pulitzer Prize-winning play by William Inge set in small town Kansas.

Let me come clean and say that I've never been to any other productions of Picnic nor have I ever seen the movie. So I was completely unfamiliar with the story.

However, I am a huge fan of Splendor in the Grass and the late great Natalie Wood. Thanks to Preston Lane's Notes from the Director, I learned that Inge had written the screenplay for one of my favorite movies of all-time and he won an Oscar for it. That made me feel a little less out of the loop.


Yes, I was fooled by the title. I thought it was going to be a light-hearted, old-fashioned romance. After five seasons of being a Triad Stage season passholder, I should have known better! 


When I know nothing about a play (with the exception of Shakespeare), I make every attempt to experience the production cold. That is, without reading a review or someone else's assessment of the story. It's nice to be able to form my own opinion about a play and the production without interference, especially if it's negative.

Here's my unbiased assessment: I loved Picnic!

As a side note, we have the least expensive seats in the house on the least expensive night of the week (Sunday). We're very close to the front, but off to the side which meant that me and my party were literally immersed in the amazing scenery and all the drama and excitement. It's hard to believe that these seats are $11.00 a ticket under the season passholder. This is the best arts and entertainment deal in Greensboro. Or anywhere for that matter!

Triad Stage has created a truly memorable set along with costumes that felt so authentic for both the period and the place (early 1950's Kansas). As you've probably already read in the N & R, they've laid the stage with real dried grass sod. I won't reveal how they've created the soaring cloud-filled Kansas sky because it is clever and wonderful. And the vintage dresses, especially the ones worn by the daughters, made me yearn for a time when folks got dressed up to go to a picnic.

This play certainly hit home for me on many levels . . .

With my own daughter on the edge of seventeen and ready to go off to college next year, I'm hoping that the aimless Hals of this world look elsewhere! Joe Tippett does too good of a job playing the drifter who every lady drools over. Unfortunately, mothers know that after a few good rolls in the hay, the brawn without brain gets mighty old . . .

Mrs. Potts (hilariously and endearingly played by Lorraine Shackelford) steals the show as the neighbor who ignites this whole mess by hiring Hal to do some work. And when the town beauty Madge Owens (played to perfection by Meg Chambers Steedle) falls fast for our hunk Hal, what's a mama to do?

It was painful to hear Mrs. Potts say that daughters need to find these things out on their own. But what kind of mothers would we be, if we didn't try and stop them!

While everyone was perfectly cast, the standout performance for me was Cheryl Koski as Millie Owen (a sophomore in the BFA acting program at UNCG). Her expressions were priceless! It sure brought back memories of being the awkward younger sister in constant shadow of my gorgeous older sister. It was basically "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" all over again!

I won't elaborate about the scene that broke my heart and almost brought me to tears. You'll know it when you see it. It's the best scene in the play and it involves dancing.

Just make sure you look beyond the dancing . . .

Picnic is playing until September 27th at Triad Stage in downtown Greensboro. Call for tickets at 336-272-0160. Image from http://www.triadstage.org/

4 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed the play. I'm amazed that everything I have seen at Triad Stage has been very good. The first play I saw at TS was "On Golden Pond" and I liked it better than the movie! On another note, I like reading the reviews and going to see if I feel the same way. For example, "Tobacco Road" was very powerful and I found made for much conversation around the dinner table. An unexpected favorite was the "Blonde, Brunette and the Redhead".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti--Those were standouts for me as well.
    And then of course The Diary of Anne Frank moved me to pieces. I still remember the faces of those actors. So many wonderful productions ... And then it seems they've invented a new form of theatre. Not quite a musical, but more than a play with music (See Blackbeard, Brother Wolf, and Beautiful Star).

    We're so fortunate to have the Triad Stage. These guys really came through for Greensboro and did everything they said they were going to do and more. This is theatre for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although this play was good, it was not one of favorites attempted by the Triad Stage. It had the feel of a chick flick. The Triad Stage provides a form of entertainment that my whole family enjoys. For basically the same price of a movie, you can enjoy a play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ttess--You can't love 'em all. I know there were a few that I didn't like and you really raved about.

    I'd be curious to know which ones were your favorites and provided the most memorable experience for you?

    ReplyDelete