Saturday, October 3, 2009

Greg Phairas Comes Through on A Rainy Saturday Night!






Last Saturday night our daughter was invited to the Northwest Homecoming and so that left me and my husband with nothing to do.

So we decided to get in our car, grab a bite to eat and figure the night out as we went along. We couldn't complain about the oodles of rain that night because lord knows we needed it!

We took 220/Battleground into town and wound up at Buffalo's. All I can say to that experience is bring back the old location and the old food because it was so much better! While Buffalo's has never been haute cuisine, you could always count on getting a good hot sandwich there with a homemade side of some sort. It always left me satisfied. But not this time. It's a completely different restaurant and experience.

But the evening was not lost! We decided to head back toward Summerfield/Oakridge and we wound up at Bistro 150 in Oakridge Commons.

Greg Phairas Band happened to be playing and what an absolute treat it was to hear this three-piece group rocking out. Because of the heavy rain, there was only a handful of people there, but that didn't stop these guys from playing their hearts out.

They played one great cover after another: Urgent by Foreigner, a rocked up version of Tracy Chapman's Give Me Another Reason, and a Eurythmics song that I hadn't heard in decades (Here Comes the Rain Again). And I always welcome a Tom Petty cover when it's done well. In this case, Greg did I fine version of I Won't Back Down.

The last hour of the show got more funky with some Stevie Wonder, KC and the Sunshine Band, and AverageWhite Band covers.

I can't even remember all of the music because it was nonstop, but I enjoyed every single song! I would have loved to dance, but Bistro 150 is definitely not a dance club! It's more of a restaurant and coffeehouse.


Greg was just as nice as could be between sets and obviously just loves playing. He wasn't a bit deterred by the weather and small turnout.

He's the perfect frontman and I will bring friends back to enjoy this unexpected local talent! Look out for him playing again in November at the Bistro!









2 comments:

  1. Greg is my brother. I just happened to find this yesterday and I forwarded it to him. He's very appreciative of your kind words. And you nailed it, he loves playing! He's still out in the Triad area performing on a regular basis.

    Take care,

    Andy Phairas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy! I need to come out and see Greg again soon. So much fun. I also saw him with a bunch of songwriters one night as I fled JP Looney's looking for respite. Me and my friend Patti had a blast. He does some really good originals. There was one song (I think it was Helen but don't quote me)that we just flipped over. Also, by any chance, does Greg give guitar lessons?

    ReplyDelete