Monday, January 24, 2011

Glenn Beck, Please Don't Mess With Grandma Frances!

I have a nice little blog where I write about local and everyday little happenings.  I seldom write about politics.  I like to keep things light and positive and unfortunately politics is a nasty business.  My work days are also pretty heavy and filled with many sad stories of illness and joblessness. That doesn't mean I don't follow the local, state, and national scene.  Or let's just say I try to.  And being a social worker by trade demands that I keep up with policy at many levels. 

I actually consider myself an independent.  I have both liberal and conservative leanings.  There's no one party who can define who I am.  But I won't get into that here.

I have to confess that I've been addicted to FOX News for a long time. I have liked and respected Bill O'Reilly and felt over the years that he evolved into someone who gave time to both sides of an issue (although his association with Glenn Beck may force me to stop watching him altogether). I absolutely love Greta Van Susteren because she gets right on the case and is a fantastic investigator, interviewer, and reporter. Sean Hannity of FOX News will not be discussed here because he has nothing new to say and professes the same tired things over and over and over again.  He makes Forrest Gump look like a PhD.

Unfortunately, I believe I can no longer support FOX News with my viewing time.  And this is why:



The victim this time is a 70-something year old professor at City University in New York (CUNY) who wrote some articles that Glenn didn't like.  Now this lovely lady and educator is receiving death threats. Her name is Frances Fox Piven and the twisted world of Glenn Beck has targeted her as one of the persons responsible for much of what is wrong with America.  If you saw her on MSNBC tonight discussing how Glenn Beck operates by singling out individuals like herself, you would be outraged.  She simply and articulately stated her case, pointing out that Glenn targeted her for an article she wrote 45 years ago!

I don't have all of the particulars here but I have to question how relevant an article is that was written so long ago.

Now mind you Professor Piven did write a recent editorial in The Nation where she questioned why there has not been a major protest movement and an outbreak of riots by the unemployed in this country (like Greece), considering that our rich keep getting richer and our unemployed cannot even afford the basic necessities of life including food and housing.  I did read that piece. While I can never condone violence, Professor Piven asks some extremely valid questions that make me wonder if and when we will reach that tipping point.

Here in North Carolina, American Express has just announced that around 1,500 employees will not have jobs here in Greensboro, since they have decided to close their service call center.  The response from our governor, Beverly Perdue was that "Better Days Are Ahead." My response to Governor Perdue is, "You've Got to be Kidding!"  We need jobs now, we needed them yesterday, and no one here in NC wants to hear any tired old cliches.

My point is that Professor Piven may not be too far off track here as unemployment continues to rise in this state and politicians respond with empty words and promises. So, Don't mess with grandma, Glenn!   Because this one is as smart as they come and will not stand for your stupidity and silliness!

MSNBC also showed Glenn Beck talking about how he won't be silenced and that "they" can shoot him in the head, but he won't back down.  That was the gist of his crazy rant.  In this age of gun violence and recent mass shootings, why would Glenn Beck use "shoot me in the head" as any kind of metaphor?  Or maybe he's serious and actually thinks he will be shot in the head.  Who knows?

You are one mean son of a gun, Glenn!   And you're paranoia makes me think you might benefit from a mental health evaluation.   Unfortunately, I'm not joking about this.  Yes, Glenn Beck won't be silenced, but he will point fingers, bully, and try and silence anyone else who has views that oppose his own and who he deems dangerous.   It is frightening to think that one man would abuse his power in this irresponsible manner.

Glenn Beck is far and away from any part of the complicated solutions needed to bring our country together and back to prosperity.  FOX News should get rid of him quickly, as he is out of control and of disservice to the station and this country.

As for me, I will no longer be tuning in to FOX News.  It's the least I can do to express my disgust with Glenn Beck and his methods. And hopefully Chris Matthews and Lawrence O'Donnell of MSNBC will welcome me back.

2 comments:

  1. I don't watch Glenn Beck and have followed this story only through the mostly-right-of-center blogs I read. Yesterday, one of my favorites, James Taranto of the Wall Street Journal, came to Beck's defense on this issue. You may want to read Taranto's article.

    (Also, you may want to double check the paragraph spacing in your blog posts. It's easy in Blogger to get extra spaces between paragraphs, as you have in several instances in this post. This makes it harder to read/understand the post (i.e., is the extra space significant?)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What it comes down to for me Preston is it's not what you say but how you say it. Professor Piven advocates for protest and riot as a means for the oppressed to bring about change, by writing intelligent well thought out pieces. Glenn rams his opinions and ideas right through the TV with erratic ranting. Thanks for your feedback regarding the formatting. I was told by a well known blogger that more white space is easier on the eyes. It is not how I would organize paragraphs normally. I may have to rethink this ... Take care

    ReplyDelete