Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Real Housewives of New York City Are Really Rude Imposters

It's 11:40 PM.  Tom's asleep and I'm surfing the channels of my nonflat-screen TV.  I stumble across the "so-called"  Real Housewives of New York City on Bravo.  I lament about the old Bravo when it programmed British period pieces and independent films.

Those were the days.   

To borrow some phrasing from another era and former VP candidate Lloyd Bentsen:   I know New York housewives.  I am friends with New York housewives.  And you all are not the Real Housewives of New York City.

I've watched this show maybe once or twice and to be blunt the whole thing is sickening. These are a bunch of mean,  self-centered, and overindulged women who apparently don't get that we are in the midst of a Great Recession.  When I click them out of my life, I immediately jump up and down with joy about what a wonderful and meaningful life I lead.

Tuning in every now and then makes me downright grateful for what I have!


Tonight I happened to see Ramona interviewing several young women to possibly work at her company.  I don't care enough to actually want to know what kind of company she owns.  What I do care about is how she treated the young woman during one of the job interviews.  The young lady described herself during the meeting as "outgoing," but admitted that she was nervous because it was her first interview out of college.  I applaud her honesty.

This young job candidate could have been anyone's daughter going out on her first job interview. Having an eighteen-year old daughter, myself, I completely empathized with what was happening to her.   

The young and attractive interviewee was appropriately dressed in a purple dress with a conservative jacket and darkish hose. Ramona proceeded to insult the young woman about the fact that she was not outgoing, then criticized the entire outfit she was wearing piece by piece.  She further degraded the young lady by offering her skin products. After the interview, Ramona and her assistant reveled in the fact that this young inexperienced job seeker looked like she was about to cry and then they both cruelly continued to joke about her skin.  
 
To that young woman looking for a job:  Be thankful Ramona didn't hire you and that you escaped the wrath of working for such a wretched human being.  And next time, don't stick around during an interview to be verbally assaulted. Run for your life like Anne Hathaway learned a little too late in The Devil Wears Prada!

And to Ramona's assistant, I pray that you find another job and mentor.  Whatever she's paying you, it's not worth it!

Believe in yourself, ladies!  You can and will find a kind and decent boss who will appreciate your talents, help you grow in your profession, and pay you what you are worth.

And to the New York City imposters:  Stop giving my friends, my family, and my home state a bad name!

No comments:

Post a Comment