Sunday, September 26, 2010

What's Up with Edward McKay Used Books?




Edward McKay used to be one of my absolute favorite places in Greensboro.  What the heck has happened to this establishment?  There was a time I could bring a brimming bag of books to the counter and get back some good credit or cash.  And I always felt like I was getting a great bargain on almost every book or CD
I ever purchased there.

But not so much anymore .... I'm not feeling the love from Edward McKay's Used Books and More.

The "More" must mean, "Give 'em more and get less!" Because it's like an act of Congress for them to give you a few cents for your books.

Just the other day,  I dragged an overflowing bag filled mostly with the classics. The Bostonians.  Wuthering Heights.  Black Beauty.  Little Men.  I could go on and on with the titles, but you get the idea.   Some I'd even bought from their store for my own reading pleasure or because they were required by Guilford County Schools for either summer or regular school year reading. True, some of my books were older editions both in paperback and hardcover, but still in good, very usable condition.

Certainly book lovers couldn't possibly be above reading an older edition of a classic or any great piece of literature, even if it's in less than pristine condition. If you're like me, I enjoy a book with some character, one that looks like it's been passed around.  A little bit of wear, a few dog ears, and some strategic underlining makes the book much more interesting for me.  My mind wanders as to the stream of folks who have read the book before me. I also love it when someone has written something personal in the front cover for a birthday or other special occasion.

I'm definitely not complaining about the credit I received on the books that McKay's decided to take. I got back around $8.00 and change from whatever was deemed worthy to be placed upon their holy shelves.   However, I left the shop with 3/4 of the books still in the bag.

Very annoying.

I'd love to know what it is Edward McKay wants and what it is he doesn't want.  But who can figure it out?

I just know that what was left in my bag were literary classics that many students and parents would love to have access to for a few dollars. And with many book clubs choosing to read or reread some of these classics, it makes sense to carry multiple copies of the same title. Because purchasing the books new from the local Barnes and Noble could run you close to $8 to $12 each.

So after this frustrating, almost-humiliating experience of lugging a rather heavy bag of books and leaving with an almost as heavy bag of books, I've decided I will now take my stash to the local Goodwill as I am not happy with Edward McKay's attitude.  Plus I 'll have the pleasure of knowing I'm helping those in need get back to work at Goodwill, rather than putting cash in snobby Edward McKay's deep pockets.

And another thing .... I couldn't find the books I did want to read that you'd think should be stocked at this used book "superstore."  Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand was nowhere to be found.  Though in all fairness they did have The Fountainhead.   I also couldn't find Dave Eggers' Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.  I actually couldn't locate anything by Dave Eggers which makes little sense in a store of this width and depth.    

I did spot Nick Hornby's new novel, Juliet Naked, for $10.00.  But sorry,  I didn't want to pay that price for a used book even it was the hardback and recently published.  When I want to spend that much I'll go straight to my local B & N, buy an expensive cup of coffee from the counter, walk around for a while, and buy what I want.

In this staggeringly-difficult recession, $5.00 would have been plenty to spend on the Hornby book.

But I did wind up getting a bunch of other books that I didn't really want:   That Nora Ephron book where she complains about her neck. What's that all about?  Why can't she just cover her crinkled neck up with a scarf or something?  I can't believe I actually bought that book.  But I have to admit I do like Miss Ephron's screenplays and that prompted me to buy the book. But I seriously hope she's gotten over her neck!

I also reluctantly purchased Jonathan Franzen's debut novel which is now several years old and apparently was an Oprah-recommended book at one time.  I avoid most books that have the Oprah stamp on them because quite frankly I don't like anyone telling me what to do or what to read.  (But since NPR and The Times is touting Franzen's new book as a masterpiece, I thought I better read the first one to see what all the fuss is about and then I'll eventually get around to his second born).

I also found an "anti" 9 to 5 woman's career book because I'm desperate to avoid that 9 to 5 grind and quite determined to do whatever I must to avoid that scene.  I then spotted a book about marketing a screenplay, since I'm not altogether ready to give up on a movie script I started writing about 7 years ago and can't do a thing with.  This might also help me in my quest to avoid 9 to 5 hell.

It's always nice to dream a little, isn't it?

I also bought a few paperback classics as I always enjoy doing at Edward McKay Used Books and More.  So go figure why he won't buy any of my classics.  Because chances are I'll probably go back and buy them all over again because I loved them so much. 

Altogether I bought 8 books for $28 when I left the store the other day.  But then remember I got that $8 worth of credit and most of my books back. And Edward McKay got $20.

One more thing, Mr. McKay ...  The CD's have gone up in price quite a bit.

I scooped up Paul Simon's Graceland last week not because $7.00 was a great price, but because my dear husband (who never asks for a thing) requested I look for that one.  He was thrilled when I brought it home.  But then he eyeballed the price, questioning why in the world a used CD from Edward McKay cost that much.  I did pass on buying a Fleetwood Mac CD, the one that has the song Landslide on it.  It cost $8.00 and there was another one right behind it.  So why $8.00 instead of $7.00.  There was only one copy of Graceland, so I would think that title would be worth more than doubles of Fleetwood Mac?

Where's the consistency?  

So many questions for Edward McKay?  Can someone please interview Edward McKay and ask him why he is sooooooo damn picky when I bring my books in?  And why did I walk out of there with a bunch of books, I really don't want to read?

Oh, why didn't I just get that Nick Hornby book.  I would have paid $2 for it with my $8 credit!  

It's too late now.  Cuz the great Edward McKay won't likely take 'em back.

5 comments:

  1. there is a person who got in touch with me about needing books and i might call her up. I think she works with kids and young adults and wants books to hand out to them. I have her name in office and will try to call her next week and she wants she needs. Maybe i can get more info from her and it might be good to get your extra books to hand to her. Will let you know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Triadwatch. It would be nice to donate books to a place serving children and teens. Books are expensive even secondhand ones. Let us know if you come up with a good source.

    Best regards,

    Donna T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Donna,
    Check out the Friends of the Greensboro Library Semi-Annual Used Book Sale on April 28, 2011 at Central Library on Church St.
    Other used, and some new books available all year in the Booklovers Shop just inside the entrance at Central Library. Most books priced from 50 cents to 5 dollars each. Also some CDs and even vinyl albums at great prices. Free on-sreet parking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOPS ! ! ! It must be too far past my bedtime. I meant to post that the Semi-Annual used Book Sale at the Library is Saturday, April 30, 2011.
    I think I will stop reading blogs and go to sleep now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dump just fired my fiance and it was his THIRD DAY working there. I guess when they wanted "expirenced cashiers" they wanted people with a brain of a robot. I bet that they fired him because he has ADHD and cannot learn as quickly as they THINK they can, especially that White Trash-looking district manager that comes up there from time to time. The way how they hire then fire employees like that, and get this, NO HALF AN HOUR BREAK WHICH IS COMPLETELY AGAINST LABOR LAWS, someone should report them to the State Department of Labor!

    Edwin Mckay: I've just posted a status on my page telling people not to come here at all. You are not a conglomerate to be having a "cashier's assessment" that even corporate giants who can take the small amount of money this dinky company makes TO DINNER, would not even burden their cashiers with that CRAP! Stop trying to be something that you're trying so hard to be, like Amazon or Barnes and Nobles. Get your head out your asses and DEAL WITH IT! YOU'RE NOT!

    ReplyDelete